Skip to main content

I've Become What I said I'd Never Be...

Good Day All,

Happy December! It's crazy to think that we're nearing the years end. I'm struggling to wrap my head around how fast 2016 has gone, but I'm eagerly anticipating all that 2017 will bring.

Do you ever think back to when you were a kid and you thought, "I'm never going to do *this or that* like *insert name*!!" I did this alllll the time. Ahhhh the ignorance and stupidity of youth. What most of us didn't understand back then was that we're more like or just like the person(s) we swore we'd never be like...that's why we didn't want to be like them. Now, yes, there are some people who set out to not facilitate certain negative behaviors/ familial patterns that they experienced in their youth, and I admire that. However, today, I'm not referring to that.
When I was a little girl, I used to always say, "I'll never be like my mother" or "I'll definitely do *this* differently than my parents did..." WELP....here I am today, lovingly eating those words and slices of humble pie. I'm so much like my mother and I'm so grateful. I love my parents dearly and I'm so grateful for all the blood, sweat, and tears that they've put into raising and guiding me. I truly adore them and I'm honored to have been placed in their care by my Creator.
The older I get, I know I'm not that old yet- calm down, but the older I get the more I realize that when I was young I said I would "NEVER" do a lot of things or "NEVER BECOME" something...and honestly, as I reflect, I've become everything I said I wouldn't. I don't mean this in a bad way, I just mean that over the last several years, I've had my true heart revealed to me and I've learned that so much of who I really am is way more than I could have ever hoped or imagined as a young girl.
Never CHINA...
Never. Never. Never....NEVER! I've said this in posts before, if you were to have told me 5 years ago that I'd eventually live and love living in China, I would haven't mockingly and literally laughed in your face. From the time I was young, China was never on the "To Visit" list. It was the only place on the "Never Visit" list. Why, you might ask? Honestly, not 100% sure. I've always loved the food and culture, but I think the idea of communist China, the one-child policy, that they easily abandon their children and have little regard for those with disabilities (which isn't even true), the fact that governments is so involved in citizens lives... it intimidated me. So much to the point that I viewed China as this horrible place. I was stupid in my youth - I know. But lookey here, we have a redemptive God! Here I am living in China for over 2 years now, loving every moment, so high on the people and culture, so passionate about it's orphans and people affected by disabilities. I'm. so. passionate about China! My "Never China" attitude has turned into a "Only China" heart.
Never TEACHING...
Ok, this is a no brainer, but when I get on a topic that I enjoy - I like to talk...and sometimes too much! But I've recently come to realize that I love sharing my knowledge or sharing the life lessons that I've experienced with other people. Individuals who have interned under me know this all too well, sorry I'm not sorry guys, but I'm passionate about what I do, which in turn means that I'm passionate about educating those who aren't familiar with what/ how I do what I do.
Again, flashback to little Nai, when I was young, the ONE profession I didn't want to do when I "grew up" was become a teacher. Many of my friends wanted to be teachers, and many of them are. **Shout out to all my teacher friends! Y'all are awesome!** The idea of standing in front of a classroom of loud, obnoxious, talk-when-the-teacher's-talking, snotty-nosed, coughing, arrogant, and even sometimes toothless, children freaked me out! It never made sense to me how people liked relaying endless information to our future generations. Hey, I have nothing but MAD respect for teachers, trust me. You guys are literally teaching and shaping our future and that's incredible!
Last week, I was at Olivia's Place with two of our kids, and while we were waiting for our session I began doing some basic math (2+4, 6+4, type of stuff) and writing with Hector...and he was getting it! Now, yes, this kid is very smart, but still he got it. Something so basic that I had been showing him...and then the bricks hit my face. I've been a teacher all along. I may not teach English, Math or Science (thank God!), but I do teach my kids how to move, walk, use their appendages, voices, bodies, and devices appropriately. I teach them physically, cognitively, developmentally, and hopefully spiritually. I'm a 康复老师 (Kāngfù Lǎoshī). I'm a Therapy Teacher. Simple, I know. But yet another ground breaking reminder that He knows me SO much better than I know myself. I've literally become the ONE thing I NEVER wanted to be when I "grew up"... and I couldn't be happier. Only God...
Never A Real BELIEVER...
I remember accepting Christ as my Savior when I was young, 6 or 7ish, and it was very real to me then. But as I got older, my heart grew hard, I didn't really want to endure the cross and follow Him. I often compared my walk to those of the people around me and every time I didn't match up. Instead of striving for a stronger personal relationship with Him, I just threw in the towel. When life got hard, I was right there at His feet, praying, reading my Bible, etc... but when He worked it out, I was back to "Life according to Naomi". It was awful and I was miserable. I had heard stories of people having these very real encounters with God that resulted in forever changed lives, but nothing like that had happened to me, so it wasn't real. Then I came to this place I said I'd NEVER visit, and all of that changed. My eyes were opened. Jesus became real on a more personal level than ever before. I was engulfed in everlasting love. In ways that only He can, Christ used these precious little ones to touch my heart and make me realize my desperate need for Him. He made an unbelieving heart, a believing one. He took all of my "NEVERs" and made them "FOREVERs". He gave me more than I could ever deserve, He ignited my life's passions, inspired me to give my heart to these kids in the same way He so freely gives His to me every day. He changed me...and is still changing me.

I'm so grateful for all of my "FOREVERs" and all of the other "NEVERs" that he's waiting to transform in my heart. So in madly in love with this Crazy and Beautiful China life! Only Him...





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sid: "HellooooOO!"

Hi! I'm Sid! Good Morning to all of you in the west and Good Night to all of you on my half of the world! I can't wait to tell you all about this awesome kid named, Sid. Kid named, Sid! haha, it rhymes! LOL :) Sid is awesome you're all going to love him, I just know it! Sid came to SFCV, not that long ago from a city in inner Mongolia (North China) called, Baotou. He has called SFCV home for almost 3 years, and boy are we happy to have him here! He's a ray of sunshine and can bring a smile to anyone's face. I chose to write my first advocacy blog about Sid for two reasons: 1. He's awesome and everyone should know about him and all that he can do, plus he needs a forever family...soon! and 2. On June 1st, Sid will turn 12 years old. That means he only has 2 more years to find a forever family. In China once a child turns 14years old they can no longer be adopted. This is heartbreaking. A lot of kids with special needs that age out of the adoption system

Ni hao from Shepherd's Field Children's Village!!

Ni Hao from Shepherd's Field Children's Village!     It's hard to believe that I have already been here for 1 whole month! Some mornings I wake up and and feel like I'm still dreaming, I'm so blessed to have this life be my reality. I would like to thank each and every person who has loved me, prayed for me and helped to support me. You have no idea how blessed I am by your faithfulness and God's goodness! Thank you! My arrival at Shepherd's Field on October 1st was ideal, I unknowingly came during October Holiday,which is a week long celebration of Chinese Independence, during this holiday all of our children are out of school and there is no work for local or foreign staff. Arriving during Holiday was quite nice, since it allowed me time to adjust and settle into my new home, get over my jet lag, and really reconnect with other staff members. It was especially nice to reconnect with the therapy team that I had work so closely with over the summe

Miracle Child

Howdy! I'm so excited to share this post with you today! Let me start with this question, have you ever witnessed a miracle? Have you? I think a lot of people tend to think that miracles are these MASSIVE events that draw the awe and amazement of many or we think of the miracles that are written about in the Bible. Yes, those big miracles happen, people being raised from death to life, the seas being parted, etc. It's real and it all happened and was AWESOME ! But today for some reason, maybe because we're not looking, we don't tend to see those kinds of miracles. However, everyday  of our lives God is doing miracles. Living here at SFCV, I have the privilege of having a front row seat in watching God perform those miracles on our campus, within our organization and in the lives of our kids. Simeon is an everyday miracle. Simeon arrived at SFCV in 2012, when he was just a few months old. He was born with hydrocephalus and spina bifida. When He was just 3 months old