Skip to main content

Day 208

2018. What. A. Year. Am I right? For me, it was a year of growth, stretching and heartache. As you may have noticed, this is my first blog post in over a year. I took all of 2018 off from writing and blogging, while it was unplanned, I just wanted to live, to be in the moment, to make memories, and I'm sure glad I did because those moments are now the fuel for my future and our organization here in China.

It's been 208 days since the first group of kiddos left our campus. For the last 10 years we had been fostering, educating, providing therapy and life-skills training for over 50 special needs orphans from all of China. In late July of last year, we were notified that new policies had gone into effect in regards to orphan care. These new stipulations required all orphans to receive care (education, therapy, medical, etc) within their home provinces. While this news brought heartache and tears for those of us who's desire is to purely serve the orphans, this decision was made in the best interest of all the orphans in the Chinese welfare system. While it's been a difficult adjustment for us and some of the kids, but we all understand and know that this is just a "change of address" if you will. We still love and view all of the kids that were once in our care as OURS, we are still one family. They are loved, they are wanted, they are valued, and we are doing everything in our power to ensure that they have the best quality of care possible.

Within the last 208 days our team, specifically therapy, has been able to travel and provide therapy resources and trainings at 8 different orphanages and we have seen almost 30 of our kids in their new homes. Four of our kids have been adopted since they left our campus, and are now adjusting well to their forever lives with their forever families. Currently we have at least three kids (that I know of) whose adoption files have been matched with adoptive families, and many more that are still waiting, praying and hoping for families of their own.

These therapy training trips to see our kids and train their staff have been absolutely incredible. It's not every day foreigners get to walk the halls of a private children's welfare institution, whose walls have heard the laughter and the tears of hundreds, if not thousands, of children. It's a unique experience to talk with these caregivers, nannies and theapists who are proving care with the minimal resources they have; who daily engulf these precious kiddos with love and take pride and value in the kids with whom they work. Hearing their stories has been one of my favorite parts...in addition to seeing our kids, of course! But really, listening to these women and men share their stories of how and why they got started caring for children or working at the welfare homes is inspiring and stirring. Daily they battle the system, the cultural norms, and they bravely use the skills they have to enrich the lives of the next generations of Chinese citizens. These people are incredible and I have the highest respect for them. I am truly honored to be able to train and equip them with the skills and resources they need to better themselves and the children with whom they work.

I've changed all thanks to 2018. I've become more of myself, I've taken on new roles, I've held broke hearts and I've had my heart broken 55 times and the pieces glued back together each time - the glue is still drying btw. I've lived, loved, experienced, hoped, cried, learned, screamed, traveled, laughed, but most of all I've grown. Here's to all that 2019 has to offer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sid: "HellooooOO!"

Hi! I'm Sid! Good Morning to all of you in the west and Good Night to all of you on my half of the world! I can't wait to tell you all about this awesome kid named, Sid. Kid named, Sid! haha, it rhymes! LOL :) Sid is awesome you're all going to love him, I just know it! Sid came to SFCV, not that long ago from a city in inner Mongolia (North China) called, Baotou. He has called SFCV home for almost 3 years, and boy are we happy to have him here! He's a ray of sunshine and can bring a smile to anyone's face. I chose to write my first advocacy blog about Sid for two reasons: 1. He's awesome and everyone should know about him and all that he can do, plus he needs a forever family...soon! and 2. On June 1st, Sid will turn 12 years old. That means he only has 2 more years to find a forever family. In China once a child turns 14years old they can no longer be adopted. This is heartbreaking. A lot of kids with special needs that age out of the adoption system

Ni hao from Shepherd's Field Children's Village!!

Ni Hao from Shepherd's Field Children's Village!     It's hard to believe that I have already been here for 1 whole month! Some mornings I wake up and and feel like I'm still dreaming, I'm so blessed to have this life be my reality. I would like to thank each and every person who has loved me, prayed for me and helped to support me. You have no idea how blessed I am by your faithfulness and God's goodness! Thank you! My arrival at Shepherd's Field on October 1st was ideal, I unknowingly came during October Holiday,which is a week long celebration of Chinese Independence, during this holiday all of our children are out of school and there is no work for local or foreign staff. Arriving during Holiday was quite nice, since it allowed me time to adjust and settle into my new home, get over my jet lag, and really reconnect with other staff members. It was especially nice to reconnect with the therapy team that I had work so closely with over the summe

Miracle Child

Howdy! I'm so excited to share this post with you today! Let me start with this question, have you ever witnessed a miracle? Have you? I think a lot of people tend to think that miracles are these MASSIVE events that draw the awe and amazement of many or we think of the miracles that are written about in the Bible. Yes, those big miracles happen, people being raised from death to life, the seas being parted, etc. It's real and it all happened and was AWESOME ! But today for some reason, maybe because we're not looking, we don't tend to see those kinds of miracles. However, everyday  of our lives God is doing miracles. Living here at SFCV, I have the privilege of having a front row seat in watching God perform those miracles on our campus, within our organization and in the lives of our kids. Simeon is an everyday miracle. Simeon arrived at SFCV in 2012, when he was just a few months old. He was born with hydrocephalus and spina bifida. When He was just 3 months old