Skip to main content

It's been Forever....

Hey All!

Wow, It's been a while since my last post, but as promised I'm back! It's been a very busy fall thus far for me and I'm just now getting back in the swing of the hustle and bustle of this new season.
Can I just tell ya...I LOVE Autumn! The weather cooling down, the breeze starts blowing, the leaves changing and beginning to fall, jeans and hoodie weather.....hmmmm nothing like it!
Well...as I promised....a while ago....here's a bit of what's been happening in our program the last few weeks!

In Late August, we hosted a two-day therapy seminar for our therapy team, as well as therapy staff from one of our partnering orphanages, Taiyuan; the seminar was taught by our partners at LIH Olivia's Place therapy center. The seminar was entitled, "Positioning, proper feeding techniques, oral care and basic communication development" wherein the staff provided both lectures, discussions and practical sessions. The seminar couldn't have gone better! So much was learned, practiced and put into action in our program. The majority of the learned material focused on caring for some of the most basic needs for our more severely disabled kids, all of whom are in need of this care. Since the seminar, our program has seen great improvement. All of our staff, myself included, have taken this newly learned skills have have applied them to the daily treatment plans for our kids. It's been SO good! Honestly I can't even tell you. Not only did our staff learn new skills, but it also allowed us to connect and form deeper professional relationships with both the Olivia's place staff and the staff from Taiyuan Orphanage. It's my hope that we're able to continue these continuing education seminars with our partnering orphanages and Olivia's place. Hopefully this was one of many more to come! :)

As previously mentioned (in a different post) we had a tremendous summer with lots of kids making great therapeutic progress. It's funny to me, that the kids who didn't make much progress over the summer began making HUGE gains this fall.... the circle of life I guess! Anyway, Let's take a moment and talk 3 main facts about about these two boys really quickly, ok? Simeon and Jason....oh. my.word!
1. Both of them are INCREDIBLY adorable!!

2. Neither of these boys made much progress over the summer, yes, both continued to work hard yet it seemed as if they had his a plateau with positive gains....until this fall. Holy moly! Let's start with Simeon.
If you know Simeon, you know just how sweet his personality is. He's a lover boy who just wants to snuggle and eat snacks. Despite is positive attitude and personality he does have some major challenges and physical delays. Let me tell ya, this kid is a determined tho. Earlier this fall, we were working on some prone activities (on his stomach) and just then, he began to "army crawl" (crawl using only his arms)!! This was his first every attempt at independent movement. Just a few days after that, while working on a self-supported sitting activity, Simeon did the impossible. You see, since the removal of his spinal tumor back on 2012, he has consistently tested negative for any lower extremity sensation or movement, meaning he can't feel or move his legs. Until that day....while sitting there all by himself, he did it! He lifted his right leg ALL ON HIS OWN! Can I tell you, I cried! Honestly. It was such a beautiful moment. Truly a miracle right there!
Now, he's moving his right leg all the time and army crawling everywhere....he's made such tremendous progress!

Jason. Where to begin. Ok guys, by now I'm sure you've noticed, I have a soft spot for this kid. Not sure if it's the fact that he was my very first patient that I got on my own OR if it's just that he has such a sweet spirit! Honestly I love this kid so much! Anyway, Jason is such a hard worker, he's as diligent as 10year old boys can be. He's determined to walk independently. This fall we began working on unassisted standing balance. It's something he's struggled with for a while, but this time around we decided it was time to build his confidence and concur his fears of instability. And he did it! He pushed himself through all the uncertainty and his shaking legs and learned to balance himself all on his own while standing! This was huge for him, but his progress didn't stop there. Several weeks later, while working on standing balance, I asked Jason a question, "Jason do you trust me?" his is giggling voice he nodded his head affirming his trust in me. With a large smile on my face I then instructed him, "Ok Hu Tao, stand up tall and when you feel ready, take 1 step towards Ayi".... with a puzzled yet smiling look on his face...he did just that!! This was his very first independent steps! The grin on his face will forever be etched in my memory, such a sweet smile full of confidence. Yet again, this wasn't the end for Jason. Just two weeks later....he was taking not 1, not 2, but 3 full steps before loosing his balance!! This kid has been joyfully working so hard to accomplish his goals and learn to walk independently!

3. Now that we've talked about both of their tremendous therapeutic success...I just wanted you all to know that these 2 boys will soon have blog post of their own! Yep, you guessed it! They're both searching for their Forever Families! I'll be writing a little post about each of them in the next week or so, then together we can SHARE their stories and help them find families of their own!

No to discredit any of the other kids in our program that have been working extremely hard to achieve their therapeutic goals, but I just had to share those two stories. Overall things here at SFCV have been busy but great! Here are a few other photos from this fall thus far!

The Seminar...




Just a few others from this autumn....
Thomas :) He's one of our newbies!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sid: "HellooooOO!"

Hi! I'm Sid! Good Morning to all of you in the west and Good Night to all of you on my half of the world! I can't wait to tell you all about this awesome kid named, Sid. Kid named, Sid! haha, it rhymes! LOL :) Sid is awesome you're all going to love him, I just know it! Sid came to SFCV, not that long ago from a city in inner Mongolia (North China) called, Baotou. He has called SFCV home for almost 3 years, and boy are we happy to have him here! He's a ray of sunshine and can bring a smile to anyone's face. I chose to write my first advocacy blog about Sid for two reasons: 1. He's awesome and everyone should know about him and all that he can do, plus he needs a forever family...soon! and 2. On June 1st, Sid will turn 12 years old. That means he only has 2 more years to find a forever family. In China once a child turns 14years old they can no longer be adopted. This is heartbreaking. A lot of kids with special needs that age out of the adoption system

Ni hao from Shepherd's Field Children's Village!!

Ni Hao from Shepherd's Field Children's Village!     It's hard to believe that I have already been here for 1 whole month! Some mornings I wake up and and feel like I'm still dreaming, I'm so blessed to have this life be my reality. I would like to thank each and every person who has loved me, prayed for me and helped to support me. You have no idea how blessed I am by your faithfulness and God's goodness! Thank you! My arrival at Shepherd's Field on October 1st was ideal, I unknowingly came during October Holiday,which is a week long celebration of Chinese Independence, during this holiday all of our children are out of school and there is no work for local or foreign staff. Arriving during Holiday was quite nice, since it allowed me time to adjust and settle into my new home, get over my jet lag, and really reconnect with other staff members. It was especially nice to reconnect with the therapy team that I had work so closely with over the summe

Miracle Child

Howdy! I'm so excited to share this post with you today! Let me start with this question, have you ever witnessed a miracle? Have you? I think a lot of people tend to think that miracles are these MASSIVE events that draw the awe and amazement of many or we think of the miracles that are written about in the Bible. Yes, those big miracles happen, people being raised from death to life, the seas being parted, etc. It's real and it all happened and was AWESOME ! But today for some reason, maybe because we're not looking, we don't tend to see those kinds of miracles. However, everyday  of our lives God is doing miracles. Living here at SFCV, I have the privilege of having a front row seat in watching God perform those miracles on our campus, within our organization and in the lives of our kids. Simeon is an everyday miracle. Simeon arrived at SFCV in 2012, when he was just a few months old. He was born with hydrocephalus and spina bifida. When He was just 3 months old