Skip to main content

The Way it Could Have Been....

Ever have one of those moments where you feel as though time has frozen, the world is moving all around you, yet you're stuck in a realm of calm and silence? It doesn't happen to me often but when it does, it's always a surreal moment. I had one of those this morning as I woke up. Just like every morning, I woke up to the sound of Zai shifting around in her cage,  as I opened my eyes and looked at my pup then glancing outside at the sunrise with it's orange and pink hues, it hit me like a ton of bricks...I'm in China. Yes, I know it may sound crazy, but it still hits me every once and a while...I'm living in China, working my dream job...my family is 6,585 miles away...I've left my home...yet everything I've done in life has led me to this very moment in my life... led me to this very morning!  I felt like I was still dreaming and trying to wake myself up except I couldn't because this is my reality not a dream. It's pretty cool, yet very humbling.

I often try to reminisce on the things that God has done in my life, good and bad, pain and joy, all that He has done to bring me to this place and time in my life. I have nothing but gratitude for all that He has brought me through. He took a young woman who swore she'd NEVER go to China even to visit and softened her heart to the point where she now sees China as her HOME! He's so good.

If you know me or if you've followed this blog for a while then you probably know my story {If not you can look it up ;) }...you know that I was this "average" young woman, who wanted nothing to do with Christianity or faith; who wanted to live her life according to her own rules; who only pretended to care about the interests of others, all the while thinking only of herself; I though I had it all, just the way I wanted it. If you were to have asked me back then, if I was happy, of course, I would have told you I was. When in reality I was horribly miserable. Thankfully, our God is a redeemer! He skillfully used these precious orphans here at SFCV to grab my heart and show me my need for him. I'm so grateful for his mercy and his relentless pursuit of my heart.

In my opening thoughts this morning, I couldn't help but think back to youth, all the decisions, choice, attitudes and actions, have led me to today. They've led me to waking up this morning...in China. Ya know, living and serving here is pretty incredible. I know I say it a lot, but I love what I do, who I do it with and where I do it. It's a great work and an amazing place and I'm grateful to be apart of the SFCV family. But, I will say this, life here isn't always sunshine and smiles. Occasionally we all go through those smoggy days where things feel hopeless and the worries of the world weigh you down. I think that's a normal part of life though - it's our reminder to cling to Christ and rest in his plan.  Exodus 14:14 "The Lord will fight for you; you need only be still". So powerful and fitting for my soul. He fought to have me here, and he's fight still. Such a refreshing reminder for my heart in hard times.

Last week, I had this thought: What if I has said "No" when Kelly asked me to join the Joni & Friends team to SFCV in 2013? What would have happened in my life? Where would I be? It was the Holy Spirits leading that caused me to agree to the trip, but what if I had ignored that? What would my life look like? I don't wonder that longingly, trust me, I'm grateful I made the decision I did, but I can't help but think. What if... I had gone through with my plan to go to the University of Michigan instead of Lewis? What if... I had majored in pre-Physical Therapy (Biology) instead of Athletic Training? What if...I had pursued those unhealthy relationships that I thought were right? What if...I had gotten an Athletic Training position right after graduation? What if...I didn't lose certain people along the way, what if they were still here? What if...I had ignored the calling of the Holy Spirit on my heart to accept Christ when I was 7 years old? What if... I wasn't impacted by our class missionaries in Sunday School? What if... I didn't make some of the decisions or choices that I did, that ended up defining who I am? Where would I be in life? Would there be more or less pain/ joy? It's amazing to think about the way things could have been if the Lord wasn't guiding his powerful hand over my life, even when I didn't want or think He was.  I often think about the way things could have been, but I'm grateful that they turned out the way they did. I'm thankful for every decision, life choice and event that has led me to this place, that's led me to waking up this morning and soaking in the beauty of the China sunrise...



Ephesians 2: 1-10, The Message
"1-6 It wasn’t so long ago that you were mired in that old stagnant life of sin. You let the world, which doesn’t know the first thing about living, tell you how to live. You filled your lungs with polluted unbelief, and then exhaled disobedience. We all did it, all of us doing what we felt like doing, when we felt like doing it, all of us in the same boat. It’s a wonder God didn’t lose his temper and do away with the whole lot of us. Instead, immense in mercy and with an incredible love, he embraced us. He took our sin-dead lives and made us alive in Christ. He did all this on his own, with no help from us! Then he picked us up and set us down in highest heaven in company with Jesus, our Messiah.
7-10 Now God has us where he wants us, with all the time in this world and the next to shower grace and kindness upon us in Christ Jesus. Saving is all his idea, and all his work. All we do is trust him enough to let him do it. It’s God’s gift from start to finish! We don’t play the major role. If we did, we’d probably go around bragging that we’d done the whole thing! No, we neither make nor save ourselves. God does both the making and saving. He creates each of us by Christ Jesus to join him in the work he does, the good work he has gotten ready for us to do, work we had better be doing."









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sid: "HellooooOO!"

Hi! I'm Sid! Good Morning to all of you in the west and Good Night to all of you on my half of the world! I can't wait to tell you all about this awesome kid named, Sid. Kid named, Sid! haha, it rhymes! LOL :) Sid is awesome you're all going to love him, I just know it! Sid came to SFCV, not that long ago from a city in inner Mongolia (North China) called, Baotou. He has called SFCV home for almost 3 years, and boy are we happy to have him here! He's a ray of sunshine and can bring a smile to anyone's face. I chose to write my first advocacy blog about Sid for two reasons: 1. He's awesome and everyone should know about him and all that he can do, plus he needs a forever family...soon! and 2. On June 1st, Sid will turn 12 years old. That means he only has 2 more years to find a forever family. In China once a child turns 14years old they can no longer be adopted. This is heartbreaking. A lot of kids with special needs that age out of the adoption system

Ni hao from Shepherd's Field Children's Village!!

Ni Hao from Shepherd's Field Children's Village!     It's hard to believe that I have already been here for 1 whole month! Some mornings I wake up and and feel like I'm still dreaming, I'm so blessed to have this life be my reality. I would like to thank each and every person who has loved me, prayed for me and helped to support me. You have no idea how blessed I am by your faithfulness and God's goodness! Thank you! My arrival at Shepherd's Field on October 1st was ideal, I unknowingly came during October Holiday,which is a week long celebration of Chinese Independence, during this holiday all of our children are out of school and there is no work for local or foreign staff. Arriving during Holiday was quite nice, since it allowed me time to adjust and settle into my new home, get over my jet lag, and really reconnect with other staff members. It was especially nice to reconnect with the therapy team that I had work so closely with over the summe

Miracle Child

Howdy! I'm so excited to share this post with you today! Let me start with this question, have you ever witnessed a miracle? Have you? I think a lot of people tend to think that miracles are these MASSIVE events that draw the awe and amazement of many or we think of the miracles that are written about in the Bible. Yes, those big miracles happen, people being raised from death to life, the seas being parted, etc. It's real and it all happened and was AWESOME ! But today for some reason, maybe because we're not looking, we don't tend to see those kinds of miracles. However, everyday  of our lives God is doing miracles. Living here at SFCV, I have the privilege of having a front row seat in watching God perform those miracles on our campus, within our organization and in the lives of our kids. Simeon is an everyday miracle. Simeon arrived at SFCV in 2012, when he was just a few months old. He was born with hydrocephalus and spina bifida. When He was just 3 months old