Skip to main content

Catching Up (Cause4Life, Chicago and Home)


Hello Friends, remember me? It's Naomi! I know it's been over a month since my last post, but if I'm being brutally honest, life has been intense and crazy busy. So sorry to keep you all waiting, but alas I'm back and blogging. Here's what's been happening in the last few weeks:

The C4L team, plus a few others
In early June a lovely group of volunteers came to SFCV with the Joni and Friends Cause4Life internship program (the organization and program through which I first came to SFCV). This group of 7 women were incredibly awesome! Not only did they come to love on our kids, but they also helped me my performing clinical and therapeutic evaluations for some of our therapy kids. I was and am SO blessed by their service and recommendations. It was such a sweet and unique experience to work along side them. Having been a cause4life-er myself it was cool to see the impact they left at SFCV through their simple acts of kindness and service, and to see the girls bond and become a team, and unite in their love for Christ - it was awesome! They have been a blessing and encouragement to me.

Meeting Elisha James, with Jordyn and Emma
On June 12th I headed back to Chicago to see my family for the first time in 6 months and to renew my Chinese visa. There's an old saying that states, "Distance makes the heart grow fonder." I can not tell you how accurate that statement is. Living overseas, away from my family and friends has made me a little more emotional and helped me to learn the value of the precious time we're given. Can I tell you, I CRIED (not joking) on the airplane when the Captain came on the PA system and announced, "Ladies and Gentlemen, Welcome to Chicago O'Hare International Airport and for those of you who are U.S. Citizens, Welcome Home!..." IT FELT SO GOOD TO BE IN THE CHI! Seeing my parents for the first time was pretty incredible too, it felt so good to be wrapped in their loving embrace.

While I was away in China, my dear sister-in-law had given birth to her first son, my nephew, Elisha James Preedin. Immediately leaving the airport I headed straight to my brother's house to meet my precious nephew. When I arrived I was greeted by 2 of the world's cutest smiling faces, my nieces, Emma and Jordyn. My heart was elated to see them, hold them, and kiss their little cheeks! Holding Elisha for the first time was pretty surreal, I could hardly believe that this moment had finally come. Guys, he's SO ADORABLE!!
I love this little guy so much!
Ready for Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals!
Most of my time at home was spent with these 3 cuties, it was good to be home and surrounded by my dear friends and family. Since it's summer, I made sure to soak up as many rays as possible at the beach and the pool, take in a White Sox baseball game and numerous days and nights catching up with old friends. Needless to say my stay was relaxing and refreshing. One of my favorite events while I was home was: The Blackhawks.Period. If you know me then you know that I LOVE hockey....Chicago Blackhawk Hockey that is. I was so happy to be home to see them win the Stanley Cup again. It was such a blessing to be able to watch and celebrate our team with my loved ones! SOOO HAPPY FOR ANOTHER BLACKHAWKS SUMMER!

Met my great nephew, Ashton Scott
Andrew Preedin for the first time
at family dinner. 
One of the Sunday's I was home I had the pleasure of making dinner for my whole family....yes, that's correct ALL the Preedins, all 17 of us, plus a few other family members. As crazy as it was, it was SO FUN!! Before heading to Chicago I had Lily teach me how to make authentic Fried Rice and my favorite Chinese dish, Gān Bīān Dòu Jiâo (spicy green beans). Guys, Lily is such a great teacher because the food was AMAZING (If I say so myself)!! I greatly enjoyed gathering with the whole fam and sharing stories, memories and some of favorite Chinese cuisine.

Meet ILY Bear
July 7th I finally headed back to China. As happy and elated as I was to be in Chicago with my loved ones, my heart was torn the whole time I was there. You see, China is my life right now, so even in those 3 weeks that I was away, my heart so longed to be with my kids. I missed them dearly while I was away. It's hard because no matter where I am in the world, there's a part of me that is always missing home (either Chicago or China). So Last week we headed home, I say we because I have brought I Love You Bear back with me. Some of you may remember my tales of TeddyBear Thomas? Well ILY Bear is Thomas' sister and it's her turn to travel China. Sadly, our travel plans were disrupted several times, but thankfully we made it home in good time. Can I tell you how good it felt to be back with the kids? truly indescribable!


Since arriving home, it's been a time or readjusting for me. As always, Jet lag usually gets the better of me for 5-7 days and then readjusting to all the summer activities we have going on here at SFCV. It's been good, slow, but good. I'm so blessed and grateful to be where I'm at in life. Ok, I've said a lot - and caught you all up.
Good to be home in China with these beautiful people! :)

Check out these pics and I promise I will post more soon! Ta- ta!

 Like I said, EVERYTHING BLACKHAWKS! 

Wrigleyville right after the win


Gearing up for the Hawks Championship Parade





THE CUP!
Oh Captain, my captain!






White Sox Game with the Besties...




Sister's Day...




Chinese Family Dinner...










Finally Made it to Firehouse 51 ( it's really house 18) from 
Chicago Fire!
 
4th of July... 






 Pool/ Beach Days...








Finally Heading Home....


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sid: "HellooooOO!"

Hi! I'm Sid! Good Morning to all of you in the west and Good Night to all of you on my half of the world! I can't wait to tell you all about this awesome kid named, Sid. Kid named, Sid! haha, it rhymes! LOL :) Sid is awesome you're all going to love him, I just know it! Sid came to SFCV, not that long ago from a city in inner Mongolia (North China) called, Baotou. He has called SFCV home for almost 3 years, and boy are we happy to have him here! He's a ray of sunshine and can bring a smile to anyone's face. I chose to write my first advocacy blog about Sid for two reasons: 1. He's awesome and everyone should know about him and all that he can do, plus he needs a forever family...soon! and 2. On June 1st, Sid will turn 12 years old. That means he only has 2 more years to find a forever family. In China once a child turns 14years old they can no longer be adopted. This is heartbreaking. A lot of kids with special needs that age out of the adoption system

Ni hao from Shepherd's Field Children's Village!!

Ni Hao from Shepherd's Field Children's Village!     It's hard to believe that I have already been here for 1 whole month! Some mornings I wake up and and feel like I'm still dreaming, I'm so blessed to have this life be my reality. I would like to thank each and every person who has loved me, prayed for me and helped to support me. You have no idea how blessed I am by your faithfulness and God's goodness! Thank you! My arrival at Shepherd's Field on October 1st was ideal, I unknowingly came during October Holiday,which is a week long celebration of Chinese Independence, during this holiday all of our children are out of school and there is no work for local or foreign staff. Arriving during Holiday was quite nice, since it allowed me time to adjust and settle into my new home, get over my jet lag, and really reconnect with other staff members. It was especially nice to reconnect with the therapy team that I had work so closely with over the summe

Miracle Child

Howdy! I'm so excited to share this post with you today! Let me start with this question, have you ever witnessed a miracle? Have you? I think a lot of people tend to think that miracles are these MASSIVE events that draw the awe and amazement of many or we think of the miracles that are written about in the Bible. Yes, those big miracles happen, people being raised from death to life, the seas being parted, etc. It's real and it all happened and was AWESOME ! But today for some reason, maybe because we're not looking, we don't tend to see those kinds of miracles. However, everyday  of our lives God is doing miracles. Living here at SFCV, I have the privilege of having a front row seat in watching God perform those miracles on our campus, within our organization and in the lives of our kids. Simeon is an everyday miracle. Simeon arrived at SFCV in 2012, when he was just a few months old. He was born with hydrocephalus and spina bifida. When He was just 3 months old