Skip to main content

Tribe Life

Everyone knows that when you start a new job, things are always challenging and somewhat confusing in the beginning.  The hope is always that the more accustomed you become to this new job placement the better and more fluid things become. I'm glad to say that this "method" if you will, has always proven to be applicable in my life. However, no matter how awesome the job is there is always that inevitable "newbie" period, when you tend to feel like no matter how prepared you are educationally, physically or mentally, everything is still so foreign... and in my case they are, they're completely foreign! 

SFCV Therapy Team!
Back L to R: Xiao Wang, Da Li, Xiao Ding, Annie
Front L to R: Naomi, Sid, Max, Kayla & Charley Moon
I've found that when you start a new job it's like joining a foreign tribe. For a while, you're  the outsider but after you've proven your loyalty, respect and integrity to each member of the tribe they accept you and take you in as one of their own. This concept, if you will,  is true in my life right now. When I first arrived here at SFCV, I knew what I was getting into; I had been here previously, I was accustomed to the daily routine and most importantly I knew the therapy Ayis and Kayla, our therapist. I knew then and still know now, without a doubt that I fit perfectly into this tribe, but as we all know there is ALWAYS the inevitable "newbie" adjustment period. Over the past few weeks I've been gradually transitioning into my new position as the head therapist, but I have to admit that in the beginning I was quite overwhelmed - the concept of taking over such a unique and well-run program was somewhat daunting. Regardless of the program challenges I was determined to win over the hearts of the three fantastic women who are the heart and soul of this therapy program; I wanted to be accepted into this program via their hearts. Of course, they really had no say in my appointment in the therapy department, but still I knew what this program meant to them and I wanted to gain their heart-felt respect. All my life I've been told, "respect is earned, not given" and earning their respect was my goal. My start was a little rough, yes, I knew them from my brief time over the summer but I had yet to really get to know them, their likes and dislikes, I knew nothing about their families,  nor did we speak the same language which limited our communication. Getting reacquainted with the Ayis and earning their trust and respect were tasks I knew wouldn't happen over night, even though they are very welcoming and genuine women. My plan of action was this: show up, talk and relate with them whenever possible (even if they didn't know what I was saying or doing), let them laugh at me, and learn as much of the language as possible. I know that you're probably thinking, "well isn't that what you do with everyone when you're getting to know them?" and the answer to that is yes. I know these things may seem like common sense, but I wanted to make sure that I went above and beyond for them and I have to say, it worked! 
L to R: Xiao Ding, Xiao Wang, Da Li
The more time we spent together, the more they laughed at me (lovingly, of course), the more pranks they played, the more they helped me learn bits of Mandarin, the more we learned about each other, the more memories we created and more of their respect I earned.  In the 8 weeks that I've been working with these Ayis, I learned so much about them and they of me, I truly believe that we've formed strong friendships based on love, loyalty and respect. They've accepted me as one of their own and I them,we're now a tribe of therapists!



On the technical side of things, my overall transition was quite smooth and gradual. Never once were tasks or responsibilities just thrown at me, Kayla took great care in guiding and assisting me in my new responsibilities, always allowing me to be independent and learn kinesthetically, yet she was always there to answer my questions and for this I'm deeply grateful. After 8 weeks of gradual learning and transitioning, I can now say that I'm officially the head therapist here at SFCV! It's at this time in this post that I want to give a massive "shout out" to Kayla Kasper, my friend, mentor, and fellow SFCV therapist. Kayla has served SFCV for 2 years and has worked tirelessly to reform and perfect this therapy program. It's because of her hard work that I had a smooth transition into this new tribe and place. I'm so honored and blessed to have had the opportunity to work alongside her!

Kayla's last day in the therapy house! We'll miss you Kayla!
xoxoxo
P.S. I couldn't have done any of this without you, Thank you!
As I've mentioned before, I'm so grateful for these ladies and the roles they play in my life. Each of them holds a special place in my heart. Being new isn't always easy, but just as I've earned their trust and respect they've earned mine. No matter how many times they say the same thing over and over again in Mandarin, no matter how much they laugh at me and my rubber boots, no matter how many times they have to remind me to take my coffee mug home, I know these ladies love me and I them! No matter what kind of day I'm having, they help make it better! I'm thankful to have had Kayla and I'm thrilled to have Xiao Wang, Xiao Ding and Da Li in my life for the incredible journey that's ahead!

L to R: Da Li, Naomi, Kayla & Charley Moon, Xiao Wang, Annie and Xiao Ding.
Nice photobomb, Seth! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sid: "HellooooOO!"

Hi! I'm Sid! Good Morning to all of you in the west and Good Night to all of you on my half of the world! I can't wait to tell you all about this awesome kid named, Sid. Kid named, Sid! haha, it rhymes! LOL :) Sid is awesome you're all going to love him, I just know it! Sid came to SFCV, not that long ago from a city in inner Mongolia (North China) called, Baotou. He has called SFCV home for almost 3 years, and boy are we happy to have him here! He's a ray of sunshine and can bring a smile to anyone's face. I chose to write my first advocacy blog about Sid for two reasons: 1. He's awesome and everyone should know about him and all that he can do, plus he needs a forever family...soon! and 2. On June 1st, Sid will turn 12 years old. That means he only has 2 more years to find a forever family. In China once a child turns 14years old they can no longer be adopted. This is heartbreaking. A lot of kids with special needs that age out of the adoption system

Ni hao from Shepherd's Field Children's Village!!

Ni Hao from Shepherd's Field Children's Village!     It's hard to believe that I have already been here for 1 whole month! Some mornings I wake up and and feel like I'm still dreaming, I'm so blessed to have this life be my reality. I would like to thank each and every person who has loved me, prayed for me and helped to support me. You have no idea how blessed I am by your faithfulness and God's goodness! Thank you! My arrival at Shepherd's Field on October 1st was ideal, I unknowingly came during October Holiday,which is a week long celebration of Chinese Independence, during this holiday all of our children are out of school and there is no work for local or foreign staff. Arriving during Holiday was quite nice, since it allowed me time to adjust and settle into my new home, get over my jet lag, and really reconnect with other staff members. It was especially nice to reconnect with the therapy team that I had work so closely with over the summe

Miracle Child

Howdy! I'm so excited to share this post with you today! Let me start with this question, have you ever witnessed a miracle? Have you? I think a lot of people tend to think that miracles are these MASSIVE events that draw the awe and amazement of many or we think of the miracles that are written about in the Bible. Yes, those big miracles happen, people being raised from death to life, the seas being parted, etc. It's real and it all happened and was AWESOME ! But today for some reason, maybe because we're not looking, we don't tend to see those kinds of miracles. However, everyday  of our lives God is doing miracles. Living here at SFCV, I have the privilege of having a front row seat in watching God perform those miracles on our campus, within our organization and in the lives of our kids. Simeon is an everyday miracle. Simeon arrived at SFCV in 2012, when he was just a few months old. He was born with hydrocephalus and spina bifida. When He was just 3 months old